Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Job Hunting

Okay, so a part-time evening job is needed for some extra dough. So, that means filling out applications at various places that I wouldn't feel like skewering myself through the eye with a size four DPN after a shift. Hmmm. That would leave.... uh.... favorite craft store (HL), BIG well-known grocery store here in MI, and that store that has everything and everyone wears red.

So I filled out and dropped off an app at HL like a month ago. Uh, hullo? No call. Grr. You'd think that with my addiction to all things crafty and actual KNOWLEDGE of said things, they'd be jumping up and down to have someone like me. Nope. Apparently, they'd rather hire teenagers that look at you like you've got a second head when asked about the location of blocking pins. Fine. Scratch that one.

So, then, last week I went to a job fair at above mentioned grocer and did the app and got an interview on the spot. Cool. Seemed promising as the woman I spoke to (Gracious Lady K) wanted to do an immediate second interview, but alas, it was too late and there was on one available to do one. "We'll call you probably tomorrow to set up another interview." Woo-hoo!!!! Hopes up, crossed fingers..... no call. I call them. Get run around as who to talk to about app status (i.e., "talk to Bobbie-Sue tomorrow." Call for Bobbie-Sue. "She's not here." "Okay, when would be a good time to reach her?" "Next week. Vacation." ARGH!!!!) and then keep calling until I get someone real. He says (and I really want to give his name and tear him up one side and down the other, but I will refrain) "Great! Yes, I can do an interview Monday at 12:30." I agree and ask Hubby if he can come home for lunch to watch the boys on that day. He agrees, and I cross fingers and pray and light candles and do good luck dances and wear thirty rabbits feet until Monday. I get dressed up ( I shaved my legs and put on make-up dammit!!) and go in only to have the customer service gal call him and look at me like I'm crazy. "Are you sure you have an interview?" I nod. She relays my nod and hangs up. I stand there for ten minutes in shoes that are killing my feet, trying to look patient and relaxed when what I really want to do is sit down with a steaming cup of Starbucks and flip the customer service lady off as I sip. Then she comes up to me and says "Uh, he says he has no idea who you are, he did NOT speak you or set up this appt. and he can't find your app. Go fill out another one and speak to Gracious Lady K." Say WHAT!? Okay, did I just get sucked into "let's see if we can drive Beth insane world"? But I just nod and smile saying, okay, sure. Anyway, I talk to Gracious Lady K and she agrees to look for my app and give me a call. No call. So we have to pick up a few things tonight for dinner, and decide to go to that store. Lo, and behold, another job fair is going on. So I trek my big ol' butt back there to the corporate fairgrounds and wait to speak to someone. And wait. And wait. I see Gracious Lady K and make eye contact and smile.

I get tired of waiting (there are two tired kids and a hungry Hubby waiting for me) and grab the first Shirt that walks by. IT"S HIM!!!! The deny-I-spoke-to-you-to-try-and-make-you-think-you're-surely-losing-your-mind guy! I really wanna kick him in his balding pointed head, but just smile and say my name and ask if I can check the status of my app. He says "sure, let me take your number and I'll check and call you." Hiccup. I tell ya, I never needed a bottle of Boones Farm Strawberry Hill as bad as I did right at that moment. So, needless to say I get to play my favorite game of all, The Waiting Game. Yay.

*yawn* Well kiddies, it's time for me to hit the sack cuz I have to go get my mom in the AM to watch the boys for us Thurs and Fri. So, for all of my millions of readers out there, try not to weep as I miss a few days of posting. I shall return!

1 comment:

S. W. Miller said...

What the hell are DPN's? Can I eat them? Nice blog, you write very well and, Mrs. McGilliguddy, keep up the good writes!