Saturday, October 13, 2007

Long talks and the introduction of Mouth and Booga

Well, adoring fans, I have returned from my little runaway kinda weekend, and I could use another weekend to recover from the first one. Five-ish hours in a car down to Illinois for a giant pain in the butt, BS, legal matter just plain sucks buttermilk. (Add to that, a 2 1/2 hour round trip to collect my mom to watch Mouth and Booga. Bleah.)

Spending a little quality alone time with Hubby was faboo, as we got to have an actual conversation without being interrupted by a loud "I'm hungry" or "Booga is chewing on his toy!" (the latter in a tone clearly implying that this is in fact something that could very well end the world as we know it.)

Ah, who is Booga? Well, Booga is our 11-month old boy who can put the food away like nobodies business. And he chews on EVERYTHING. This kid has been teething since 2 months of age (I shit you not) and still has not popped a tooth yet. Unbelievable. It doesn't hinder his eating, that's for sure. He eats anything put in front of him. Pizza, pasta, smoked sausage, chicken, potatoes, pineapple, lint, food off the floor, his brother, paper... the list goes on and on.

Mouth is our five year old boy who has earned the name Mouth by using his. Constantly. Never-endingly. I thought I had a mouth for sass when I was a kid. Sheah. He puts me to shame. He's always got to have the last word (as do I, so this can go on for a while), talks back constantly, has taken to cursing, (the phrase that makes me wince, because I am supposed to be a Christian and it slips past my lips too often, is "G** D*** it!" Ack!!!! Bad Momma!!!!!!!). The big problem? It's been said at school. (Hanging my head in shame. Not ashamed of him, but of myself. He heard it from me, and kids will repeat what they hear at home.) And he has no currency. This meaning, we can take away T.V. No effect. Toys? Nope. Play time outside? Nyet. Books? Nuh-uh. A swat on the butt? We receive a dirty look and a guilty conscience, but no behavior change. *sigh* Now don't get me wrong, Mouth is by no means a beast. I adore him because he is the most loving, compassionate little boy I have ever met. (I may be biased, but I speak the truth) If one of us doesn't feel well, he's the first there with hugs and kisses. I laid on the floor to nap one Sunday afternoon while Hubby watched football, and Mouth got up out of his comfy chair, pulled a blanket out of its cubby, and covered me with it most quietly and tenderly. Made me sniffle with Momma-pride. He ADORES his little brother and even though he can get a little jealous, he is always watching out for Booga. We recently found out Booga has an allergy to eggs (I think the huge hives covering him were the first clue) and Mouth was worried sick the entire time Booga had the hives. He couldn't really put in words that he was worried, but his actions spoke volumes. He took VERY good care of Lil' Bro.

Anyway.... what was I talking about originally? Oh, conversation. I've missed it. It's so nice to talk to another adult and not have to include cartoon character names or speak in a sing-song. I have caught myself doing it anyway, much to Hubby's amusement. I actually said "Night-night, Baby" one evening when he was working nights. (He goes to bed at 7 or so in the evening, so I always go in and say goodnight.) I didn't just SAY it, I sang it in the Momma voice. It sounded like, "Ny-Niiiight, Bay-bee. " *sigh*

We actually talked after we turned out the lights for, like and hour and a half. It was awesome. It really felt like we reconnected. I didn't realize how much I missed Hubby! He hasn't gone away, but it's like, "Hey! Remember me? I'm your wife. Yeah, I know, I've been MIA a bit. You know, raising kids kinda puts Hubbies on that back burner, unfortunately. How've you been? Great! Yeah, we should definitely do this again! How's three years from now?"

Anyhoo, I should get some sleep, so later y'all!

P.S. Stewby-- DPNs are double pointed needles used for knitting round things, like socks, hats, gloves, etc. They come in various materials, like bamboo, aluminum, and plastic. I suppose you could eat them, bit I wouldn't want to be your gastroenterologist. Eek.

1 comment:

S. W. Miller said...

Thanks for the clarifying needle terminology... now my life is complete. Oh, Mouth and Booga are great nicknames nearly trumping our own: Buddy, Pie-man, and Waddiford. HA!
S-